Our annual Chevy Chase DC Walking Tour took place on Saturday, September 26th, 2015.
Stay tuned for news about the next one!
Pictures by Carl Lankowski
Highlights from a past walking tour
HCCDC conducted its annual walking tour of the neighborhood on October 5, 2013. Past president Keene Taylor led a group of 45 participants of all ages from the Avalon Theatre west on McKinley Street to Belt Road. There, he discussed Colonel Joseph Belt (1680-1761), who gave Chevy Chase its name. Lord Baltimore granted Colonel Belt 525 acres (later expanded to 1000) by Lord Baltimore in 1725. The road that bears Belt’s name was laid out on the site of an old Indian trail. It leads from Tenleytown through Chevy Chase to Oliver Street east of Connecticut, where Belt built his homestead at what is today the highest point on Oliver. The homestead was demolished in 1907 as development of residential subdivisions was beginning in Chevy Chase. Keene pointed out the house that now stands on the homestead site and, just downhill, the location of the Belt family’s cemetery – roughly, the triangle at the junction of Oliver and Chevy Chase Parkway.
The tour continued down the Parkway to Morrison Street and back to Connecticut as Keene pointed out the many styles of residential architecture that characterize the neighborhood: Bungalow, Colonial, Tudor, Spanish, four-square, catalogue houses, and others.
Back on the Avenue, Keene called attention to the PNC (formerly Riggs) Bank building, with its medallions, and the two local Historic Landmarks: the Chevy Chase Arcade, considered one of the nation’s earliest shopping enters, and the façade of the Avalon.
The tour ended with a round of applause for the guide and the distribution of discount coupons for ice cream at the Avalon Café, courtesy of Sarah Pokempner, the Avalon’s Development and Outreach Manager.
Cultural Tourism DC, of which HCCDC is a member, sponsors “WalkingTownDC” each autumn, and HCCDC’s Avenue Tour is one of the many elements of that program.